Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Hold it Right There!

Yesterday was my long run for the week, another three miles. And my body had finally had it and completely quit on me. I did two miles and had to stop. I know exactly why, too. Ready to take a peak into my analytical mind?

a) I'm tired. Beyond tired. CJ has had croup since Friday and I've been up with him since Sunday night. I took him to the doctor, but even the steroids they gave him aren't helping.

b) I also have whatever virus caused CJ's croup. I've been trying to push through it and have been taking Vitamin C twice a day, but my body is screaming at me to rest.

c) It was my very first running day without a partner. And I don't have an iPod, either. Can anyone tell me why the heck I'm sitting in front of $2,400 worth of Apple equipment and I still don't own a stinkin' $200 iPod? Note to self: Competition is a great motivator!

d) I haven't taken a single rest day. Yesterday was my ninth day in a row on this training schedule. It calls for two rest days a week, but I haven't taken them. This may not be a difficult task for some people, but for someone who has spent the last 4 years in the same way I have, it just isn't possible! I now know that I need my rest days.

e) And finally, I consumed maybe 500 calories yesterday, if I'm lucky. There's that nasty habit rearing it's ugly head again.

Fridays and Sundays are my rest days, but I'm going to relax today and just move my training up one day in hopes of undoing all of the damage I've done. And, I'm going to eat three healthy meals today. I knew something like this would happen, but my stubborn will told me otherwise.

1 comment:

  1. You need rest and you need calories!! ANd you need an iPod! When I was training for my half marathon, I felt that I didn't have enough time to take rest days because I only gave myself 6 weeks to train from nothing to a half marathon... but my body did the same thing and I realized that my body NEEDED those rest days! Take at least one day off a week if you can't stand to take two off! Congrats on starting this journey! You inspire me...

    ReplyDelete